Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tornados, COLOR, and BAPTISMS!!!

HEY EVERYBODY!!!
Another week has quickly come and gone here in Northern Virginia! I really AM loving it here! :) As I was thinking about what to share with y'all in my e-mail this week, I realized how many things I had forgotten to share in my e-mail last week!
First things first. Last week there was a sale at Giant (our local grocery store right across the street from our apartment) for OREOS!!! They were two packages for $4!!! You BETTER believe Sister Woodbury and I stalked up on those last week! :D ...well, we only got two packages, but still. We don't have one full package left now... Haha! I didn't really realize how quickly I could go through a package of Oreos until just after a couple of days, I saw that one package of Oreos was halfway gone already. So, naturally, I thanked Sis. Woodbury for helping me eat them and I was glad that she was enjoying them as much as I was... And then she started laughing and said, "Sister, I haven't eaten ANY Oreos since you opened the new package. That was ALL YOU." ...Ya... So... Needless to say, I've been taking a step by step personal program that I came up with myself to cut back on my Oreo eating habbits because I realized that it had gotten a little bit more than slightly out of control... Haha. So I limited myself to only THREE Oreos per day, and I asked Sister Woodbury to hold me to that, and she's been doing a pretty good job at that! No sneaking extra Oreos around her!
So anyways, speaking of Sis. Woodbury, she is SOOOOOOO funny!!! She has this chronic hic-up, which she says is caused by the spaziming of your frenic nerve. Yep. She'll hic-up out of the blue at least a couple of times an hour, and when she does, she sounds almost like someone just scared or surprised her. Haha. It's kinda funny, and I only feel like I can laugh about it because she laughs about it, too, and she says that her hic-ups don't hurt her. So that's good. I would sure hate to have hic-ups all the time! Oh! And also - I don't know when I'll be able to send you some pictures, but Sister Woodbury looks like a cross between Julia Roberts and Julie Andrews. It's kinda interesting. Sometimes she looks more like one than the other, but she always looks like both. Haha.
Also one last thing that I forgot to mention last week was that there's this church CD that Sister Woodbury and I listen to every single day. The CD is called Mercy River - Beautiful Dawn, and there's this song on it that I absolutely LOVE that Sister Woodbury absoulutely HATES called Hello Sunshine! It's SO bright and bubbly and it makes me smile every single time it comes on! :) Y'all should DEFINITELY look it up and picture me singing along to it! :)
Anyways, now that I got you all caught up on the previous week, I'll tell you about this week!
As we were driving around, looking for a former investigator's house, we found the house and knocked on it and... nobody answered... So we thought that we'd just tract a couple of houses on that block, so we did and the first house, nobody answered, then the second house a guy answered AND HE LISTENED TO US!!! He even told us at first that he wasn't really interested and that he attends the Baptist church right across the street (seriously guys, Baptists and Muslums in DC are like Mormons in Utah. It's CRAZY!!!), but Sister Woodbury kept on talking and asking him questions and telling him about our church, and pretty soon she had gone through the whole Restoration pamphlet on his doorstep and he gave us his name and phone number and told us that we could come back sometime next week!!! It was BY FAR one of the coolest experiences I've had since coming out here! :)
Also, another interesting thing from this last week - we were talking to a less active member in our ward who told us about some SUPER wealthy guy who aparently is having some investigation on him right now for giving a real human skeleton to a neighbor. The neighbor thought that it was just a realistic-looking Halloween prop, but then they looked more closely at it and had someone who specializes with those kinds of things look at it, and they confirmed that it was real. Yep. He's in our area. And yes, Sister Woodbury has tracted his house before. ...But I don't think we're going to be going around there anytime soon - at least not until this case is closed and we know what really happened and how he even came across a real human skeleton. Yep. People around here can definitely be pretty interesting... Hahah...
Well anyways, on a bright note, we had stake conference yesterday! Besides having technical difficulties on and off all the way through (cause we watched it broadcast at a different church building), it was SOOOO good! And it was even good when we were having the technical difficulties and couldn't hear or see what was going on! Because during that time, we just sang various hymns and still kept in the spirit! President Riggs (my mission president) and his wife spoke and not just their talks - but everybody's talks were all about MISSIONARY WORK!!! It's amazing how the age change has not only changed the availability of when a missionary can come out, but it has also caused more of a push overall for missionary work! THE CHURCH IS SOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO grateful for all of the experiences - good and bad - that have helped me to get out here where I am today on this wonderful mission! I know that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and there's no other place I'd rather be! :)
Thank you all SOOOOOOOOOOOO much for your amazing continuous support all the time! You have NO idea how much all of your letters mean to me! Thank you SOOOOOO much, Heath and Ash for your letters last week! They're EXACTLY what I needed! Everyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write me!!! Have a wonderful work and do your own form of missionary work! THE CHURCH IS TRUE!!! :D

LOVE,
Sister Aubrie Orrock

P.S. Read Moroni 7 next time you do your scripture study! It's amazing and has brought me lots of comfort! I LOVE YOU ALL!!! :D
P.S.S. About the tornados thing in the subject - there was a tornado warning last week - or maybe last weekend - while we were tracting. Some nice person, although they weren't interested in what we had to say, was concerned about our safety, and told us about it. We went into a nearby member's home when it started to rain and the storm clouds were coming in. Shortly after we got in the house, it started POURING RAIN! Like BUCKETS were being poured from the sky!!! It was CRAZY!!!
And as for the colors comment - I have never seen so many different ethnicities IN MY LIFE!!! I LOVE IT HERE!!! :D
And then Sister Kuaong is getting baptized this Saturday and Sister Woodbury had a feeling that we need to sing at it, so we will! YAY BAPTISMS!!! :D

1 comment:

  1. Dear Aubrie: I just want you to know that I love reading your posts! You are truly delightful to read. I can tell that you are enjoying your mission tremendously. I know the Lord will continue to bless you with wonderful, amazing, spiritual and funny experiences while you are out there. I look forward to reading them all. Love you, Aunt Janis

    ReplyDelete