Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Smithsonian, Museums, and food in DC!!!

HEY EVERYBODY!!!
This past week has come and gone as quickly as ever! Monday was Sister Woodbury's birthday, so we went to DC and got to walk around the Smithsonian (which, by the way, is NOT just a museum - it's an actual area with all sorts of sights in DC. Yep. Didn't know that. Haha) and went in the Museum of Natural History, which, aside from all the taxodermy (I don't know if I spelled that right... Haha. All of the dead, stuffed animals) in some parts of the museum, I really LOVED it!!! I thought of Malarie the whole time! I think she'd really love it! My favorite part was the dinosaur museum! That was SOOOOOOOOOO fun!!! After walking around in the museums and seeing all of the cool stuff there, we went and got some food out of a Van-thing... Yup... Don't trust 'em. We went to Kabob Palace (it was Indian food), and they didn't even have any kabobs there! I mean, it says it right there in the name - HELLO!!! Haha. Just kidding. ...But seriously though. They really don't have kabobs. I was slightly disappointed and Sis. Woodbury was VERY disappointed. So anyways, I, of course, got a vegetarian meal, which was really good - SPICY, but good. But Sis. Woodbury got something with meat in it, and I guess they like to make their meat fresh or something, cause she found a piece of something in her food that was NOT meat, but was DEFINITELY a part of an animal. We're pretty sure it was a piece of brain. Yep. SUPER. We both almost threw up. I took a picture of her holding it and I'll send it to you cause I know y'all wanna see. Haha.
Tuesday was really good! During our power hour, Sis. Woodbury and I street contacted into a chinese girl, and we asked her if she believed in Jesus and her response was SO golden! She said, "Not yet." She went on to say that she WANTS to believe, but she's not sure if she believes just yet. We got her info and don't you worry, we'll be sure to baptize her! :)
Wednesday we had a half mission conference and we were priviliged to hear from Elder Echo Hawk, a member from the quorum of the seventy!!! It was SOOOOOOOO cool!!! And I totally shook his hand afterwards! Plus, he lives in Orem, UT, y'all!!! Don't worry, I had NO idea all this time that I lived so close to a general authority!
Friday was really good! We had another lesson with Diane (I don't know if I've mentioned her yet, but she's an investigator of ours, and she used to be a former investigator, but we've got her back on track ever since we started visiting her since I got here! I asked her to be baptized with a soft invite on my first visit with her, and she didn't totally decline, but she just said that she didn't wanna rush into it - which I totally understand) and Sister Woodbury invited her to be baptized, and this time with a date. Diane got kinda nervous at first, but after we explained that the date is just so that she has a goal to look forward to, and if she's not ready by then, we can move it back. After we explained that, she seemed more ok with it, but was still unsure about the date we had given her - June 22nd. After talking with her more, she said that she wants to be baptized, but she just wants to be ready before she gets baptized. After we were done with the lesson, she said the closing prayer and during it, she said, "Thank you for sending the Sisters back to my house, even when I kept on sending them away. I'm thankful that they were so persistant and didn't give up on me." Those words right there nearly brought me to tears and told me right then why I am here in Northern Virginia on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!!! I am here for people just like Diane, who know that this wonderful gospel is just what they need in their lives, but they may be a little bit afraid of changing certain things in their life, so they push  the missionaries away over and over again; but at the end of the day, they're grateful that you haven't given up on them!
We also went over to Reacha's house to check on her, but she wasn't there. However, her sister, Sabrina was, as well as Reacha's daughters. Although Sabrina and Reacha's daughters say that Reacha's still interested in learning about the church, I'm not so sure that she is. But just like with Diane, we've been persistant and we WILL NOT come down! (anyone know that scripture/talk? "I am doing a marvolous work and will not come down"... I think that's what it was... Haha. Something along those lines). But if nothing else, two of Reacha's daughters - one who's about 18 years old, and the other who's about fifteen said that they're interested in us coming back and talking to them!!! YAY!!! The work WILL continue to move forward, even if some people may not be ready to accept the truth of the gospel in their lives yet.
Also - last quick thing: We just started teaching a lady in her early 30's named Carmina. She's a wonderful, sweet lady and a minister for a non-denominational church. Her friend Karen who she's roommates with sat in during our lesson and they both seemed interested. Carmina's friend who lives in New York referred her to get a Book of Mormon and a Restoration DVD, so when we went to drop it off, she invited us in and we taught her the restoration and she invited us back! Hopefully all goes well and they both get baptized! :)

Well, unfortunately I'm about outta time, but I LOVE YOU ALL!!! :D PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write me!!! I know that I've been TERRIBLE at writing individual people back, but I PROMISE I'm working on it! :) I really DO love you all and I pray for you all each and every day!!!
Read Moroni chapter 10! I just finished reading the Book of Mormon (not like I started it from the beginning on my mission. Haha), and I LOVE it!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!
LOVE ALWAYS,
Sister Aubrie Orrock

Mom: I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I love how you tell me about Sophie dog in every single e-mail and letter you send me! :) Please continue to keep me updated. I'm sorry that Sophie has allergies. That's no fun. A little funny, but not fun. Haha.
Malarie: I LOVED your letter and graduation announcement! SUPER cute!!! Your letter made me cry a lil bit with happiness and cause I miss you! I'm SOOOO proud of you and all that you're doing! You go, High School Grad!!! I LOVE YOU!!! :) Anyways, please give my Lola-kins lots of loves from me! :)
Ang: I LOVED your letter and graduation announcement, too! SO cute! I also got a lil teary-eyed reading your letter! I LOVE YOU!!! Give my Row-Row loves from me! :) I'm working on a letter for you!
Lance: I LOVE YOU!!! I'm working on a letter for you, but it's just taking a year and a half to write. SO sorry! I guess you'll get it when I get home. SORRY! Haha. I'll try to finish it and send it soon!
Cory: Thank you SO much for your weekly e-mail updates on how everyone's doing! I LOVE YOU!!!
Daddy: I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I am SOOOOOOO happy that I was able to talk with you for a lil bit on Mother's Day!!! That was SOOOOOOO good! And I got your letter last week! THANK YOU!!! I'll always be your perfect princess daughter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment